Error triying to install/compile Sparkle for Linux on RAD 11

Just reinstalled my development notebook (new SSD) with Windows 10 and after a fresh new install of Delphi 11.1 Enterprise and adding a Linux64 (Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS) SDK, I was able to install Sparkle including a recompile for Linux64 without any issues.
I have no clue why this works now.. On the same notebook with the old SSD (which was initially installed 3.5 years ago and upgraded numerous times) the install of TMS Sparkle failed for Linux64.

Maybe all additions like PAsServer also was installed with new versions, but also registry was newly set up and removing lots of wrong registry entries knocking out efffects of other registries values.

Have you checked the regisstry settings for TMS and/or Delphi keys with old and new ccomputer and run a file compare like with the Delphi based Beyounr Compare ? ( Scooter Software: Home of Beyond Compare)

@Alf_Christophersen has provided a possible workaround for the compilation issue. I can't test it here as I can't reproduce the issue, but maybe all of you having the problem mentioned in this topic could try to manually modify the source and check if it solves the issue?

Nope, have not done that. Meanwhile I have upgraded to Windows 11. If I find the time, I will compare the registry settings from the backup with the current registry info.

1 Like

@Alf_Christophersen, I thought the workaround you mentioned here: Possible reason why compilation of Sparkle feils - #6 by Alf_Christophersen had solved your issue?

Sorry, no. Only the problem building the debug version of Sparkle.dproj where I had to correct Sparkle.MiddleWare.compress

Running the installer failed with the same bigs reported as above.
But I hope the log file would give a clue about what registry contain the failing part

Still an issue with the 7/6 build and Delphi 11.1. Workaround still works.

Hello, is anyone here that can reproduce this issue consistently? There is a beta running for next Delphi update, and they asked for specific information to try to fix this issue. If there is anyone willing to help, please let me know then I can provide the detailed instructions.

Sure, I'm on the beta plan. I can test for you... Do you want to try with the current Sparkle install (i'm a subscriber) or a beta/test version?

@Steve_JORDI do you have access to the Embarcadero Beta Forum? There is a topic there regarding RSP-36641 issue. They are asking for information there, can you please join?

Got it. Thanks. I'll keep things posted here.

Solution that worked for me. Under Debug configuration - Linux 64-bit platform, I turned off "Use debug .dcus" and it compiled without problems in debug mode.

While this works around it, it's not a solution as obviously it indicates that something is wrong with the Debug DCU's provided by Embarcadero. But yes, you can use this option to keep working with it until this mess is solved.

To all users that are still facing this issue in 11.1, could you please help us try to solve this issue by answering the following questions:

1. Do you have the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\22.0\lib\linux64\release\rtl.imp.o in your computer?

2. Have you installed 11.1 from ISO or Web installer?

3. What is the exact 11.1 version you are using? Can you provide the exact version showed in About dialog? Do you have a patch installed? Are you using 11.1.5?

Just tried on a clean Windows 11 64bit machine, Widnows 11 PRO 21H2 Build 22000.856
Under VMWare Fusion 12.2.4 20071091
It worked right away

1. I have the rtl.imp.o file. It's 37792 bytes (Before starting installing TMS)
  2. Installed from Web, not the ISO
  3. Embarcadero® RAD Studio 11 Version 28.0.46111.0902

Installed in that order from fresh, not installed over a previous version:

• Core Business 1.33.0.0
  • Aurelius 5.10.0.0
  • Sparkle 3.21

...and continued with

• XData 5.7.0.0
  • RemoteDB 2.13.2.2
  • Echo 1.10.1.2

SDKs in RadStudio:
Default Android installed by the RadStudio installer: 25.2.5
ios 64 bit: 15.5
macOS: 12.3
Linux64bit: Ubuntu20.04LTS

Is that good news? :wink:

For you, it is! :-) For other customers, I hope so. It really depends if we still see users reporting issues with 11.1. It's still not clear to me if 11.1 solves this issue or not. Some users report they still have it, but now you say you solved it.
Thank you for the feedback.

OK what I'm going to try is to install Sparkle again, over an existing install to see if that causes the problem when it first automatically uninstall Sparkle. We'll see.
Here I had a clean first time install scenario.

I just tried to update my TMS Biz products following the previous recommended process but and still getting the issue when installing Sparkle

Its not a clean install but Windows 11 64bit machine 21H1

1. I have the rtl.imp.o file. It's 37792 bytes
  2. Previouslly installed from ISO
  3. Embarcadero® RAD Studio 11.1
  4. Installed Core Business 1.34.0.0
  5. Installed Aurelius 5.11.0.0
  6. Sparkle 3.22 - ERROR installing

Yes, running 11.2,

1. rtl.imp.o does exist in the linux release directory.
  2. I used the web installer.
  3. 11.2
  4. still have the issue compiling linux