Error triying to install/compile Sparkle for Linux on RAD 11

The known issue happens when compiling TMS Sparkle, not TMS Business Core Library. Are you saying you get errors compiling BCL even for other platforms which are not Linux? I'm afraid you are hitting a different issue. Can you please open a different topic and provide more detailed information (log, error messages)?

It may be a problem is that the error is most probably dependent on first installation of the demo of the TMS Business Core Library and install it, and then download the demo of TMS Sparkle and install it and when compiling the Linux part, it crash.

Could it be an idea to let some at Embarcadero get a free All Access full demo?

If the tester also installs several other GetIt packages, he will also face another problem. the excess of 32000 characters :-D

In order to make the instaler command shorter, i Have defined two junction points, C:\Repos_22 for the full path for the repository files, C:\TMS_ as juction point to the TMS files and C:\BDS22 as junction point to the RAD files, C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\22.0 (install with C:\BDS22 as root and not default directory in C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\22.0

This will shorten all path names drastically and increase chance to successfull compilation

when opening command prompt and go to C:\ (after CD ) and run dir /ad I will get displayed all the junction points defined: like this:

01.11.2021 22:49 BDS22 [C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\22.0]

Thank you @Wierzbicki_Arkadiusz

I follow your instruction and it works (Sparkle 3.19.0.1).

I can then compile/install this components after manually compile Sparkle for Linux64.

• Aurelius 5.8
  • XData 5.5
  • RemoteDB 2.13.1.1

My system:

• Delphi 11.1 clean install (web installer)
  • Windows 10 21H2 (19044.1586)
  • No other component/plugin install except TMS Business Component 1.31

Not sure if anything I can help you pinpoint the root cause, @wlandgraf

What I've done in Ubuntu 20.04.4 after sudo apt-get update

• sudo apt-get install build-essential
  • sudo apt-get install libcurl4-gnutls-dev
  • sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev
1 Like

I can confirm that on Delphi 11.1 I have the same old problem with Sparkle / Linux install.
I had to apply the same workaround described by @Wierzbicki_Arkadiusz

@wlandgraf
When working with other component projects like before Turbocontrols was part of GetIt or the JEDI tools, I have found that the default setup has had differences like the directories for debug and runtime versions.
So could it a difference for linux platform that default ssetup for TMS Business Core Library and TMS Sparkle like eg both debug and full versions is defined with correct SCU paaths etc whiule for Sparkle, debug defitions is lacking or default paths is different so the debug part is placed incorrectly or lacking ?

To anyone, when upgrading to 11.1, also remember to update and reinstall all the belonging PAServers

Just reinstalled my development notebook (new SSD) with Windows 10 and after a fresh new install of Delphi 11.1 Enterprise and adding a Linux64 (Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS) SDK, I was able to install Sparkle including a recompile for Linux64 without any issues.
I have no clue why this works now.. On the same notebook with the old SSD (which was initially installed 3.5 years ago and upgraded numerous times) the install of TMS Sparkle failed for Linux64.

Maybe all additions like PAsServer also was installed with new versions, but also registry was newly set up and removing lots of wrong registry entries knocking out efffects of other registries values.

Have you checked the regisstry settings for TMS and/or Delphi keys with old and new ccomputer and run a file compare like with the Delphi based Beyounr Compare ? ( Scooter Software: Home of Beyond Compare)

@Alf_Christophersen has provided a possible workaround for the compilation issue. I can't test it here as I can't reproduce the issue, but maybe all of you having the problem mentioned in this topic could try to manually modify the source and check if it solves the issue?

Nope, have not done that. Meanwhile I have upgraded to Windows 11. If I find the time, I will compare the registry settings from the backup with the current registry info.

1 Like

@Alf_Christophersen, I thought the workaround you mentioned here: Possible reason why compilation of Sparkle feils - #6 by Alf_Christophersen had solved your issue?

Sorry, no. Only the problem building the debug version of Sparkle.dproj where I had to correct Sparkle.MiddleWare.compress

Running the installer failed with the same bigs reported as above.
But I hope the log file would give a clue about what registry contain the failing part

Still an issue with the 7/6 build and Delphi 11.1. Workaround still works.

Hello, is anyone here that can reproduce this issue consistently? There is a beta running for next Delphi update, and they asked for specific information to try to fix this issue. If there is anyone willing to help, please let me know then I can provide the detailed instructions.

Sure, I'm on the beta plan. I can test for you... Do you want to try with the current Sparkle install (i'm a subscriber) or a beta/test version?

@Steve_JORDI do you have access to the Embarcadero Beta Forum? There is a topic there regarding RSP-36641 issue. They are asking for information there, can you please join?

Got it. Thanks. I'll keep things posted here.

Solution that worked for me. Under Debug configuration - Linux 64-bit platform, I turned off "Use debug .dcus" and it compiled without problems in debug mode.