TMS FNC Maps Applications freezing

On some computers, the map freezes and only returns if you close the msedgewebview2.exe processes, as shown in the figure. the test was done with the demo

Is the Edge Runtime up to date, did you deploy the latest up to date DLLs?

yes they are in the latest version

Is there something special on those machines? all Windows updates installed? We haven't been able to reproduce this so far

there is nothing special.. If necessary, I can give you access to the machine for testing

Dear Pieter,

I am experiencing a similar problem, my application freezes when loading the form containing the TMSFNCMaps component.

This doesn't happen 100% of the time, it may be the third, or fourth time it starts the application, but it ends up happening.

I have updated the Core and component to the latest version available v3.5.0.1, and this is working with Windows 10 (22h) updated, and Delphi 11.0. I have also installed the latest Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime 108.0.1462.46

If I open the task manager and interrupt the Microsoft Edge WebView2 requests that hangs from the application, I can continue, but obviously already with errors.

As it was the same problem, I've shared it here, if you see it more appropriate I'll open a different thread.

Can you open the developer console (F12) and see if there are errors popping up?

I bought the component I'm having problems and no one helps me, how can I ask for my money back?

I'm currently helping you in less than 24 hours, not sure why you state that no one is helping you. The questions I ask are crucial in order to determine what is going on. Also note that the browser is a wrapper around Edge Chromium. We are also depending on stable releases from Microsoft. If Microsoft is breaking something then we monitor and try fixing it as soon as possible. However, currently we are not able to reproduce the unresponsive behavior. Are you using the latest DLLs? Can you use the ones attached to this post and see if the problem is resolved?

DLLs_edge.zip (140.1 KB)

I already answered the question you asked, I even sent a photo of the newest version, so my problem continues.. I already tested all the dll's. I'm having to develop a map in Chomium because the TMS one doesn't work.

We had similar problems in the last 2 weeks, After adding some "application.processmessages" when waiting for a "GetDirections" in our case, the problems are gone. Possible you have a loop where you wait for something and in this loop everything hangs because of missing "processmessages"?

So far, I'm not able to reproduce the issue.

I have tested this on Delphi 11, the Google Maps Features VCL demo application in a Windows environment with all updates and the latest runtime available. We are also using 108.0.1462.46

"On some computers, the map freezes" is not really helpful. In order to help you the best we can, we need more details.

1. In the demo, did you execute an action?
  2. Which steps did you take to reproduce the issue?
  3. Is the issue just happening when starting the application?
  4. Are you able to reproduce this in a new project?
  5. Are you using VCL styles?
  6. Please also click on the browser and press F12 to view the developer console. Is there something in the console indicating an issue?

If the issue is not consistently reproducible then there must be something specifically happening on those machines. This could be a version/DLL combination issue. I've attached the latest prerelease DLLs for testing purposes. Please extract them, copy them both to the System32 & SysWow64 folders.

Edge DLLs_Latest.zip (141.2 KB)

In the demo, did you execute an action?

• I showed the demo photo, you ask me redundant questions. (Google Maps Features)

Which steps did you take to reproduce the issue?

• After opening the program a few times without having to do anything, just open

Is the issue just happening when starting the application?

• Yes

Are you able to reproduce this in a new project?

• happens in any project, just put the component and it already has the problem.

Are you using VCL styles?

• no, only the component

Please also click on the browser and press F12 to view the developer console. Is there something in the console indicating an issue?

• does not show an error, the system simply freeze and it only unlocks when I close the processes (msedgewebview2.exe)

Without an API key you should see the following screen:

Can you test the TTMSFNCWebBrowser component, blank component on a new VCL application? It should show a similar screen with browser initialization. If that is not happening ,the browser hangs on the initialization process. Which could have several reasons:

1. Not being able to access to the TEMP folder
  2. There was an error during the initialization process

To further debug, could you provide remote access to the machine? We'll need to be able to debug the steps that are taken via the IDE.

I said above that I could give access to the machine and you didn't answer anything, that's why I said that nobody was helping me... I can provide access, just say the time.

Dear Pieter,

I am doing supplementary tests on other systems, and it is likely, that the origin of this bug is related to a local misconfiguration of my own computer. The same compiled program can run without freezing on other computers running Windows 10 or 11 without apparent problems. I will update details in due course if I come to more light on this issue. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks @Silvestre_Perez

thank you very much for your help as TMS is not capable

From the information you provided, the only thing we can suspect, is that there is a problem with using the embedded Edge Chromium browser on Windows in a Delphi app.
To try to further pinpoint this issue that we further suspect must be really machine specific, could you please:

1. Put a TEdgeBrowser on a new VCL form in a new app and see if this starts and if you can navigate to an URL
    If this works, please proceed to 2)

2. Put a TTMSFNCWebBrowser on a VCL form in a new app and see if this starts and if you can navigate to an URL

If 1) or 2) already doesn't work, it means this is really embedded browser related and I would suggest to start by reinstalling Edge Chromium on Windows and also to test this on another Windows machine.

In our specific case, after modifying the Windows Temp directory by giving full write permissions (delete directory and recreate it again) and combined with the latest Windows update KB5021233, we have stopped suffering from the freezing problems. Regards.

2 Likes