What can we use in WEB Core in place of INI files or the Registry?

I think I've seen something about this, but can't find it.

In particular, I'm looking for a way to save user-specific state data for a WEB Core app.

One option would be to save it on their current device, like an INI file or the Windows Registry. Is there a way to do this?

Another would be a more global storage option. If you have logins on something like an XData service, then the data can be saved in the user's profile record.

For an MVP I'm working on, I'd like to avoid setting up a DB where the service is hosted and use a 3rd-party solution. Any suggestions for this? (I'd like to have a REST-based API and a NO-SQL interface, like JSON or something simple. Memberful looks interesting, but it doesn't offer much in terms of available space in the user's profile, just 5 "custom fields" that are connected to their UI.)

Is this something the myCloudData.net service would be good for?

For your first question, check out "localStorage" within TMS WEB Core - this is a key:value mechanism that allows you to set/get keys from the local device that is also persistent - the entries will still be there even after a browser restart.

1 Like

I'd like to try using the MyCloudData.net service. I originally thought it was fairly simple, but it looks like a generic API backed by either MS SQL Server or MySQL depending on platform, and which one is used seems to be irrelevant. I've actually been looking around for something like this, but haven't found anything. Then I realized it's included with the ALL-ACCESS pass and won't cost me an additional monthly or annual fee!

Now if only I can find a demo or something that explains how to use it beyond the list of ingredients in the API...

There is a demo under Demo\Services and Demo\Backend

I just found one under Demos/Services from an old post in the support area for MyCloudData ... sorry, I didn't realize there was a separate area for that.

I see there's also an example in Demos/DBBackend that looks more substantial.