TMSLogging: AureliusOutputHandler does not compile

I have a working program with TMSlogging and wanted to add Aureliuslogging.
I have created a table and supplied my IDBConnectionPool to the logging.

The code is about the same as in the manual:

uses
  Aurelius.Drivers.Interfaces,

var
  Pool: IDBConnectionPool;
  TMSLogger.RegisterOutputHandlerClass(TTMSLoggerAureliusOutputHandler, [Pool]);

When I compile this code I get an error:

[dcc64 Error] program.pas(224): E2250 There is no overloaded version of 'RegisterOutputHandlerClass' that can be called with these arguments

What's wrong? 

Hi, 

You can convert the pool via TValue.From:

TMSLogger.RegisterOutputHandlerClass(TTMSLoggerAureliusOutputHandler, [TValue.From<IDBConnectionPool>(Pool)]);

Pieter Scheldeman2016-10-11 13:49:12

Maybe it's an idea to correct that in the manual, and maybe with a little example. The manual states:

TTMSLoggerAureliusOutputHandler (unit TMSLoggingAureliusOutputHandler)

The TTMSLoggerAureliusOutputHandler connects via an IDBConnectionPool to send logging
outputs to a dataset connected via Aurelius. The process of setting up a connection is simple
as demonstrated in the code below.

TMSLogger.RegisterOutputHandlerClass(TTMSLoggerAureliusOutputHandler,
[pool]);

and I believe that's exactly what I did.
I also had to find out the hard way what the table in the database must look like.
For other who read this: in PostgreSQL the sequence and table look like this:

CREATE SEQUENCE seq_tmslog_data START 1;

CREATE TABLE tmslog_data (
  Id INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('seq_tmslog_data'::regclass),
  Name TEXT,
  Time_Stamp TEXT,
  Process_ID TEXT,
  Thread_ID TEXT,
  Memory_Usage TEXT,
  Log_Level TEXT,
  Value TEXT,
  Log_Type TEXT,
  CONSTRAINT tmslog_data_id PRIMARY KEY (Id)
);

Hi, 

We have applied a fix in the manual.

Logging to an Aurelius table does not supply the log_level, which is very inconvenient as it is the main criterium to search for problems.

It would also be very handy if there was a way to supply plain values to the Aurelius table (as they are in different columns) and formatted values to the text-outputs. Ideally the values could have a non-text format when they are non-text (e.g. process_id, thread_id, memory_usage, time_stamp), which is much more powerful in a database. At the moment I can only get formatted text, cut into pieces, in a table, not very handy.

You're correct about this. We'll look to extend to add log level and use native data type instead of putting it as string.