TDBADVSearchEdit Problem

I have a major problem with the TDBADVSearchEdit component. In fact its so major I am sure it must be me doing something wrong.

1. Working in Delphi 10.4.2

Create a new project
Drop on the project a new data connector, a query and a datasource.
Make all the settings and activate the connection.
Just to assure all is good, drop on a DB Grid , connect it to the datasource and watch the grid populate.

Now drop on a TDBADVSearchEdit Component.
Leave the DataSource property blank
Point the ListSource to the datasource
Go to Columns and add New.
In the new column property box , select one of the datafields

The SQL waiting cursor pops up and the whole RAD environment hangs. It never comes back and so needs to be restarted with Taskmanager. I have waited 1/2 hour to see if it will come back.

This behaviour is reproducible every time.

There are only 2 columns in the query but it does return about 32,000 records.

I could not see this here so far.
What if you keep dataset.Active = false, connect it and then set dataset.Active = true in code?

I get the same result. The IDE hangs. This is using FIREDAC components and SQL Server

If you set Active = true in code and step through the code, do you see where it is stuck?

Interestingly it does not get stuck when setting Active:= true in the code. Only at design time.

Best Regards

Peter

Are you 100% sure you have a clean install at design-time of the latest version?
Meanwhile, as workaround, activate the dataset in runtime.

It was a brand new PC with a brand new install of RAD Studio 10.4.2 then a brand new install of the VCL UI pack. There was absolutely nothing lingering from any kind of upgrades. In the meantime I will do as you suggest.

Thanks

Peter Young