SQLite: adding a requered field produces error

In an existing entity (that works over an SQLite db) I added the following column:

[Column('relat', [TColumnProp.Required], 40)]
    Frelat: string;

When executing UpdateDatabase in TdatabaseManager I am getting the following error:
'Error: Cannot add a NOT NULL column with default value NULL'
Sql query:
'ALTER TABLE pat
ADD relat TEXT NOT NULL'

Is this the "missing feature to set column's default value" ?
Thank you in advance

Yes. To update such database you have to create and execute a custom SQL statement to create the field.

1 Like

I am not sure because today, I delete the table and it was recreated by Aurelius without problem.
At the same time, if I run the above sql query from SQL Expert, it runs without errors and the table is altered.
Am I missing something?
My call stack:

:7714a6e2 KERNELBASE.RaiseException + 0x62
Aurelius.Drivers.SQLite.Classes.TSqliteDatabase.RaiseError('ALTER TABLE pat'#$D#$A'  ADD relat TEXT NOT NULL')
Aurelius.Drivers.SQLite.Classes.TSqliteStatement.Create($8BED380,'ALTER TABLE pat'#$D#$A'  ADD relat TEXT NOT NULL')
Aurelius.Drivers.SQLite.Classes.TSqliteDatabase.Prepare('ALTER TABLE pat'#$D#$A'  ADD relat TEXT NOT NULL')
Aurelius.Drivers.SQLite.TSQLiteNativeStatementAdapter.PrepareStatement
Aurelius.Drivers.SQLite.TSQLiteNativeStatementAdapter.Execute
Aurelius.Commands.AbstractSqlPerformer.TAbstractSQLPerformer.Execute('ALTER TABLE pat'#$D#$A'  ADD relat TEXT NOT NULL',nil,1)
Aurelius.Commands.AbstractCommandPerformer.TSQLPerformer.Execute('ALTER TABLE pat'#$D#$A'  ADD relat TEXT NOT NULL',nil,1)
Aurelius.Commands.AbstractCommandPerformer.TSQLPerformer.ExecuteSQL('ALTER TABLE pat'#$D#$A'  ADD relat TEXT NOT NULL')
Aurelius.Engine.DatabaseManager.TDatabaseManager.ExecuteSQLStatements($8FE68D0,False)
Aurelius.Engine.DatabaseManager.TDatabaseManager.UpdateDatabase
procedure dbinit;
begin 
dbc:=TSQLiteConnection.Create('Database='+tpath.Combine(dirint,'sb.db')+';EnableForeignKeys=True');
dbmap:=TMappingExplorer.Default; 
with TDatabaseManager.Create(dbc,dbmap) do 
    try 
     UpdateDatabase; 
    finally 
       Free; 
    end;
end;

Why the same ALTER sql command runs from SQL Expert but gives error when it runs during databaseUpdate?
How can the table be created by aurelius but not altered?

The SQL will fail if the table exists and has records. If it's a new table, or if the table doesn't have records, it will execute ok.

1 Like