Manage users with Multi-Tenant Access

We have a multi-tenant system, but want to allow users to have access to multiple tenants.

Ideally, when a user logs in to Sphinx and they have rights to multiple tenants, I'd like to return a list of the tenants available to them and they can choose which one they want to access.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

It loos like this tenant choosing is not related to security, but simply business logic.

I mean, security-wise, what matters is what tenants are allowed. If the user will filter all tenants simultaneously or once at time, this is more concerning your UI and business logic.

Thus my suggestion is that you simply implement it in your application.

I'm not sure it is that simple. Each Tenant has their own database and the XData app uses the Tenant Middleware to select the database.

I'm thinking that I have a table in the Sphinx database that links Users to all the Tenants they are allowed to access, so this is identifying the what tenants are allowed.

The process I am thinking of is that the user logs in and then selects the TenantId that they want to work with. We then need to add this to the JWT, but the configure token will be complete before the list is shown.

I'll have a play and see what I can come up with

I have this doubt too.
I don't see it as business logic.
There's a multi-tenant platform, and let's suppose a user, with his personal and unique email address (or phone number, or whatever), needs to login as a "Tenant 1" user, because he does some work for "Company 1", and then he also needs to login as a "Tenant 2" user, because he also works at "Company 2".
Shouldn't it be managed at security level?

1 Like

I don't think so.
If the same user, with same credentials (unique e-mail/phone number and password), can access both "Tenant 1" and/or "Tenant 2", it's not a security issue. It's an UI/filter issue.

Yes, but then this is UI. The original JWT token generated by Sphinx (actually, generated by you from Sphinx) says the user can have access to Tenant 1 and Tenant 2. If you want your app to only show data from Tenant 1, it's up to your app.

But I believe that Russel and me were talking about same email but (maybe?) distinct passwords (or not) for each tenant. Not the same credentials as such (user + password), but simply the same username, by external organizational factors that we can't control.

Let's suppose we develop an app, multitenant, using Sphinx for authentication & authorization, and then we publish it and sell to different companies as SAAS, and clients are be able to register their users using their personal email accounts or phone numbers. We can't predict if there'll be someone who works for distinct clients. Could be an accountant, lawyer or consultant who provides services to several companies.
What would happen when one tries to register the same user for a 'second' tenant? "This email address is already in use?".
That's why we think that there should be a way to let the user choose the tenant during login when there's a multi-tenant scenario, otherwise the only alternative I can imagine (as an UI oriented solution) is using distinct login screens/pages for each tenant that'll force the authentication points specifically to that tenant behind the scenes.

What would be the best approach for this scenario ?

I currently use tenant-id in the JWT to determine which tenant to access, so I guess I could switch to one of the other methods for tenant identification. I must admit I'd forgotten about those.

I'll experiment.

No correct answer. Depends on your business needs.

"Multi-tenancy" is a too broad concept. First, with Sphinx you have a completely separated authentication procedure (SSO), so let's separate Sphinx (auth) from your business application (API).

You can have multi tenancy in auth, in the api, and in both.

A user can have a single login info (email/password) and then access multiple "tenants" (companies, for example) in the database.

The auth can be multi tenant, in this case, there will be one user for each tenant. That would be the case if you have multiple different applications, for example.

Usually the tenant is "hidden" from the end-user. (Usually, it's not a rule). That means the user doesn't even realize the app is multi tenant. He goes to "login.myapp.com" to login to MyApp, and he goes to "login.coolapp.com" to login to a second app. But in the end, the authentication server for both apps is the same, same database, etc..

1 Like

The approach I have come up with is to user a header field to hold the tenant-id instead of the JWT.

So:

1. User logins into Sphinx

2. Sphinx returns JWT access token with a claim that lists the tenants the user has rights to access

3. In the WebCore App OnLoggedIn Event if the var Tenant-Id is not set and the user has more than one tenant available, show a list and ask them to choose.

4. Choosing the tenant then sets the Tenant-id that is returned with all calls to XData (along with the JWT) and the main page is loaded

5. On XData server the tenant-id is compared with the available tenants in the the access token to ensure there's been no messing about en-route

Now to test it out

2 Likes